Summer Car Maintenance Checklist
Summer is within reach. You probably already have vacation plans set in place, but before you take any long road trips you should first be sure that your car is prepared for them. We’ve put together a summer car maintenance checklist that you may want to take care of before hitting the road.
[Need something fixed? We Offer Maintenance Services!]
- Oil Change — Oil is essential to keep your engine running smoothly. The higher temperatures that come with summer can make your engine more susceptible to overheating. While oil changes are important regardless of the time of year, take extra precautions when it gets warmer.
- Tire Maintenance — The tougher conditions of winter put a lot of wear and tear on tires. You will want to make sure you have your tires rotated to prevent the front tires from wearing out before the back tires, and vice versa. It’s a good idea to check the tread and tire pressure while you’re at it.
- Belts and Hoses — It’s best to take care of problems before they arise. Just take your car in for a quick inspection so anything that’s out of place can be fixed early on, especially considering the fact that changes in temperature can often make worn hoses and belts worse.
- Coolant– Your cooling system will ensure your engine doesn’t overheat. Have the coolant flushed regularly to remove debris and any old coolant that may break down and cause bigger issues. You also will want to make sure your car always has enough coolant during extra hot days to avoid overheating.
- Headlights — Drastic weather, like the snow and cold of winter, may mean that your headlights had some extra wear. Check to make sure they are clear and that all lights are working properly. Replace any burnt out bulbs and get dirty headlights defogged.
- A/C — Check to make sure your air conditioning is functioning properly. It should be blowing at the correct speed and the air should be cold. If it seems that something may be wrong, have a mechanic check it out.
- Battery — Have the battery tested to make sure it is still in good condition. If you catch the issue ahead of time you can replace the battery before it completely goes out.
Don’t wait until your car starts having problems to get the issues checked out. Schedule an appointment right away so you’re prepared for the long drive ahead this summer!